Saturday, June 02, 2007

Mother Raven, Baby Raven
















I was outside this morning enjoying my usual morning bad habit. It was foggy and noisy. A congregation of Oak Ridge's finest ravens had decided my gardens would a nice place to set up camp. There was one particular individual that was making all the noise. As I sat on the back of my pickup I noticed that the noise maker was a "baby". I say baby but this bird was as big as Mom. It followed Mom all over the yard with its beak wide open and cawing (if that is a word). This went on for what seemed like hours...although I was only out for one bad habit intake.

I got to thinking that ol' Mom needs to put her foot...errr....claw.....well whatever a bird's foot is called.....and set that baby straight. In the first place if your baby is as big as you then you have obviously babied it long enough. Now I don't know much about birds, other than they eat a lot and poop on everything....but don't you think this mama needs to do a little life training and teach that critter to learn how to survive on its own?

I guess I can equate this to my daughter's recent graduation from college. We let go years ago and she survived to adulthood. And she doesn't go around cawing for attention.......or pooping everywhere. At least I don't think she does anyway.

I think I need another cup of coffee.

No comments: