Sunday, December 07, 2008

Gilberts-The Next Generation (For Dad)




December 7, 2000 was a day I will never forget. I remember the phone call, to my wife from my sister-in-law, Michelle.......you had left us.

You were cutting wood, in preparation for the annual Christmas gathering of the families.......and it ended.

Stash notified Mom and my world went into a spin.

As an adult, I knew the day would come when I would lose a parent....but one can never expect it when it happens.

Since that day I have also lost a brother.....it's been a long road, but I hope to see you both some day.....just not today.

As I prepare for yet another Holiday, I long for the days when I heard you "clapping" in the living room, adding wood to the fire or just sitting in your chair....watching the young ones run around the house anticipating "White Elephants", stockings, gifts and the bountiful food displayed in the kitchen.

My hometown, as I knew it, is gone. My home, as I knew it, is gone.

And I now can fully understand what "losing a kid" to the world really means! My kids are grown and doing well.

Lorien is in Philadelphia and won't be home for Christmas. I remember the cards from you and Mom when I was in France during Christmas 1979.....my first holiday away from home, thanks to the US Navy. I can understand how you two felt as you spent Christmas without one of your own.

Carly is a senior at East Tennessee State University and will graduate next year. She's planning a career in teaching...but she's been planning this since age 3! She will be home this year, for Christmas....but this too will probably pass......




Terri continues teaching and I continue working.........


We miss you, Dad.....and I can assure the next Generation of Gilberts are onboard.....we will continue the legacy you left us all.....

Peace, my friend! And say hello to Mark and Stash!

I love you, Dad!

David

No comments: