Saturday, May 19, 2007

The Long Driveway

July, in Georgia, can be a furnace......if you let it get to you.....

Before the days of computer games, mp3s, iPods and cds, there was baseball and frisbee golf (a new sport, but rapidly growing among the college kids)

Before the sun would hit it's peak, in the blue, southern skies
The Boys of Summer would gather on Covington Highway to hit the ball across the road...or to search for the missing Homerun........

Simple times, with simple endings....you win or you lose....but you played until time was called.....8 innings....12 innings....or just 3.........the temperature gauged the game.......

I missed the gauge when my teammate told me he was throwing in the towel.....

I thought he meant he couldn't play kids' ball anymore.....

He did.

He tossed me his last ball about 6 months before he handed in his hat and jersey.....

And his bat is in my command....it has a long fret, and 6-stings.......

And it tells me daily......


"Play On!"

And this I will do....

No comments: