Monday, April 30, 2007

Use To Be My Eyes

Use To Be My Eyes

Colours have covered me in blankets of memories
From my youth to where I am today

The map I used in 1976 is now worn and tattered
The map I used in 1958 is forgotten
Roads I once used are now old and lost paths
And the trail that got me here is now faded

I found a new map in an antique store
It had my name on it and called me to the shelf

"I am here", it said

"And who are you?", I responded

"I am you and you are here"..........

The old map suddenly unfolded on that old, wooden desk
And the X was highlighted in yellow

I saw my old pathways on that map.......
And saw my new pathways beyond its margins..........

"Why do you seek me out?", I asked
"I did not call to you. You called out to me.....I only answered your call".

"These use to be your eyes, but you forgot how to see".......

"I see fine....a little blurry these days but that comes with age".

The map curled a bit a unfolded again.........

"The blurry visions you see are what you make of them. Your blinders need to be fixed........you lost your ability to focus."

I pondered this for a few minutes.....why the hell am I talking to a map, in a store with few patrons. I stood at the old desk and waited.....

"You, my friend, have lost your way.....but I found you and you, reluctantly, have found me. Pick me up, pay your dollar and I'll take you to where you are intended to be...."

"And why should I trust you?"

"You should not! But you don't have a map to guide you today. What do you have to lose but a dollar?"

I grabbed the map, found my wife in the ceramics section of the store and paid for my goods.

The map has not spoken in 5 years.....but the yellow, highlighted lines move.....and they move daily.

These use to be my eyes.....and now my eyes have a tinge of yellow.....from an old, wrinkled map.

No comments: