Monday, May 23, 2005

I Saw Me Yesterday

I took out on a walk yesterday. I was wandering down a path and came upon another traveler. He looked confused and tired but seemed as though he needed a human companion for a moment.

"How ya doing", I asked.

"Ok, I guess", he quietly responded. "I think my map is wrong. These places along the trail all look the same. I think I've stumbled onto a loop and can't seem to find a way off."

"Let me see what you're using", as I held my hand out. He reluctantly handed me his soiled, torn map and I turned my eyes downward. "There are no markings on this map!"

"Really? Must have grabbed the wrong one when I started this journey."

"How long have you been on this trail?", I asked, not really expecting any response.

"I've been walking for 47 years. Every time I come around a switchback, things start to look different and I think I've finally found my way. But, you know, as I continue onward everything goes back to where I've already been. I just can't get off this one."

"Wanna use mine?", I asked. "It's newer and has all the correct markings. It's really quite a good one."

"I dunno. I really think I can do this on my on. I feel like I know you, but we've never met...have we?"

"I don't think so. I've only been walking for an hour or so. I've never been down this path before...but your voice does sound familiar."

"Well, if you're not going to use it, maybe I could use a change of scene."

I handed the stranger my map and we parted ways. As I made it down the path, I turned to look up the mountain. He was standing on top looking back and me....and waved a friendly wave.

The next morning, as I was standing in front of the mirror shaving, I saw the stranger looking back at me.

"Thanks for the map", he said.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Hidden Wizard. I've joined this 'walking partner' related website and wondered if you know of any other website which might help me to find a walking partner in my local area? Many thanks